1. What is Brain Gym ® Edu-K ® or Educational Kinesiology?
Brain Gym® is an inclusive and integrative technique that relies on the recreational use of movement (proposing specific activities) to integrate physical skills: vision, hearing, coordination … with Brain Gym we can learn enjoying and therefore get better results in all the activities we do and a deeper understanding of ourselves.
The simplicity of its structure and its simplicity to apply to any context, optimize results in sports, art, music …, resolution of learning difficulties (reading, writing, math …), memory, improving capabilities relationship and emotional expression and / or social issues, have made BG a irreplaceable tool for all professionals who work with other people: parents, teachers, psychologists, businessmen, doctors ….
The Brain Gym ® trademark Edu-K ® system ensures quality backed by thousands of beneficiaries for more than 30 years.
You can access the knowledge of this technique by Brain Gym 101 introductory course, open to anyone interested in learning this technique directly, which is the gateway to complete training as a Consultant and Instructor of Brain Gym.
Every day there are new advances in knowledge about the brain and its plasticity, the more we practice a movement, it becomes more automatic. Our brain goes beyond its location in the skull. It spreads throughout the body through neural networks.
- Brain Gym has shown that our relationship with the world and with others is developed through movement: the baby explores the world in a playful way through her whole body movements.
- With movements we provice sensorimotor stimulation and information to the brain through the senses. The body responds to external stimuli in the brain storing these experiences automating repeated responses to do them unconscious. So we developed our internal reference map that helps us relate to the environment and life experience ourselves throughout life.
3. How have developed Brain Gym movements?
Many of the Brain Gym activities, like the owl, elephant and the alphabet eight, have been developed by Dr. Dennison knowledge on the relationship between movement and perception, and the impact it has on fine motor skills and academic skills. Other activities are learned during their training sessions as a marathon runner, his study of Jin Shin Jitsu (a form of acupressure), and his study of Applied Kinesiology.
4. Why Brain Gym speaks about the dynamic learning?
The brain is «alive» and as such must be considered. Respond continuously -have consciousness of it or not, to any external or internal stimulus. Thus, learning is a dynamic process.
The Brain Gym is holistic perspective and looks at the person as a whole being. Based on observation and movement consider the following:
- body structure and function
- body biochemistry and emotions
- conceptualization, symbolism, language and thought
Structurally we evolved from a cell that expands from the center outward in three directions:
- front to back
- upwards and downwards
- right to left
Our map of internal-external references is based on the experience we have gained over them by our movements.
– Our body is three-dimensional and our brain has developed on three levels:
- survival brain – reptilian
- emotional or limbic brain – mammal
- conceptual brain or cortex and neocortex – human –
In brain gym brain we associate with each level a typology of movement and learning
- Attention, concentration, comprehension Where am I?
- Motivation, relationships, organization Who are the others?
- Expression, communication, symbols, concepts Who am I?
Children with educational special needs and severe learning problems can benefit positively Brain Gym program. Instructors specialize in this area of work intensive programs may recommend simple exercises or assisted. Many special educators have used Brain Gym in special schools and with children of this typology getting great results.
The Brain Gym ® Mission is based on the principle that intentional movement leads to optimal learning.
- Brain Gym aims to provide the opportunity to develop the full potential of each person respecting the pace and unique process to achieve their personal excellence. Brain Gym is used effectively in business, sports, as well as in art or in schools.
- Brain Gym is a series of movements framed in a specific methodology that activate the brain for optimal storage, management and retrieval of information. It is also a process to become aware and re-educate the body / mind system that improving sensory functions and acts com physical skills more easily and effectively.
- Through our perspective, instructors and movement based programs that empower any age enjoy the pleasure of living.
7. Why a Brain Gym program?
The International Foundation Brain Gym ® Edu-K ® represented in Spain by the Spanish Association of Educational Kinesiology Brain Gym ® aims to disseminate and maintain a quality guaranteed through their trademark.
- The developed program responds to the need to spread this technique with the quality of their results through the Instructors recognized by this association.
- The program has specialized Trainers and Consultants in the art and requires a basic knowledge taught by four levels and trademark courses they include. These courses are similar in all countries that have signed the International Foundation program.
8. What gives us the Brain Gym program?
Each course will include specific strategies in order to improve our understanding of brain functions and how they affect the learning based on psychotherapeutic techniques.
Improve and increase the skills of reading, writing, math or communication. Change lock-stress patterns and addiction to become self improvement challenges. Provide specific resources and self management. The courses of Edu-K ® program prepares students of all ages to practice and master the skills required for them to help improve learning. The program is presented in a simple teaching format, accessible language for a playful and fun learning methodology and relying on Brain Gym movements for integration of learning. The program also includes specific strategies to increase the skills of reading, writing, mathematics and communication.
The results for students in basic Brain Gym 101 course include:
- Increased self-esteem.
- Increased motivation
- Ability to identify and overcome stress.
- Increased awareness and respect for their body intelligence, and personal space.
- Unique tools for creating teams, and to develop cooperation and creativity.
- Anything that you set and can imagine …
After receiving his graduate education at Boston University, Dr. Dennison moved to California to become an elementary school teacher in the public schools of Los Angeles. There he collaborated with commissioning Malabar Reading Program, by Dr. Constant Amsden, known as an innovative approach to teaching reading.
Dr. Dennison established its first reading clinic in 1969. Two years later, after studying neurology basic work of Dr. Samuel T. Orton, Dennison began introducing perceptual-motor training to their students. Over the next three years, worked alongside Louis Jaques, OD, a pioneer in the visual training, and Samuel Herr, OD, who shared the learning center.
In 1975, Dr. Dennison received the Phi Delta Kappa award for research excellence at the University of Southern California, where his Ph.D. in Education specializing in Curriculum Development and Experimental Psychology. Focused research study for his doctoral thesis on the relationship between covert expression (thoughts) and the acquisition of skills for beginning reading.
In 1976, Dennison began working closely with the chiropractor Richard Tyler and Bud Gibbs sports kinesiologist. In 1978, Dr. Tyler helped implement a study to see how the intervention of specific movements could affect learning Dennison. In 1979, Dennison formed the Touch for Health course as a workshop, beginning to outline the Edu-K program. His first book, Switching On, «On», was published in 1981. He discovered Laterality Remodeling program in 1982 and began to implement in the adult population. In 1983, he developed Educational Kinesiology: Seven Dimensions of Intelligence. In 1984, he began working with Gail Hargrove Dennison who developed other academic courses. Gail Dennison helped systematize the Edu-K materials and develop the material of the Creative Vision, and Vision Circles program.
10.- Why is it important to choose a registered Instructor of Brain Gym®?
Instructors registered Brain Gym ® -BG ® – are part of an international team. They agree to use only the contents, manuals and official certificates International Foundation Brain Gym ® Edu-K ® in their classes. These certificates are recognized by many organizations around the world as an official part of their programs.
11.-Where can we find a registered Instructor?
It exists a list of registered instructors of each country that you can find through the International Foundation Brain Gym ® Edu-K ® or through affiliate in our country www.braingymspain.org mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Foundation website www.braingym.org mail: email@example.com paragraph «Spain» or the country that interests you «find a class».